Glasgow Women’s Library Book Group is welcoming and inspiring, connecting women who like reading with each other and to a host of amazing and surprising new reads. The book group is one of the Library’s longest running and most popular regular groups, meeting approximately once a month at GWL.
Join the Book Group
Please note that due to the popularity of the group, the GWL Book Group and the waiting list are currently full. We will reopen the waiting list in October 2019 so please do check this page again in the Autumn if you would still like to join.
In general, the Book Group meets on the last Thursday evening of the month and runs on a suggested donation of £1-£3 from members per monthly meeting. This donation enables the Book Group to continue to run, as we do not have another source of funding, so please donate what you can. Alternatively this is a group that is free to Friends of GWL. You can attend your first meeting for free to try it out.
The Book Group offers members: the loan of books (in partnership with the Mitchell Libraries readership development scheme), a welcoming environment, tea and coffee, email updates and group facilitation. You are also contributing to a unique and precious resource in Scotland and are introduced to a very varied reading list!
Books are distributed at each meeting to members, with spare copies left for collection in the Library. After reading, books can either be left at the Library, or returned to any Glasgow City Council public library.
In the meantime, if you are not already a Glasgow Women’s Library borrower then do consider signing up here or pop in to the library and complete a borrower form, so you can begin borrowing books from our collection!
Some of the books we have discussed
Books selected have included contemporary writing by Scottish writers and classic fiction. Over the past three years the Book Club has read the following:
- The Colour Purple – Alice Walker
- The Bloody Chamber – Angela Carter
- Fingersmith – Sarah Waters
- The World’s Wife – Carol Ann Duffy
- Trumpet – Jackie Kay
- Beloved -Toni Morrison
- White Teeth – Zadie Smith
- The Handmaid’s Tale – Margaret Atwood
- Wuthering Heights – Emily Bronte
- The Bonesetter’s Daughter – Amy Tan
- Sitting Amongst the Eskimos – Maggie Graham
- The Cutting Room – Louise Welsh
- Lovers, liars, conjurors and thieves – Raman Mundair
- Mrs Dalloway – Virginia Woolf
- Cranford – Elizabeth Gaskell
- Time Traveller’s Wife – Audrey Niffenegger
- The Mandarins – Simone de Beauvoir
- Notes on a Scandal – Zoe Heller
- Tenant of Wildfell Hall – Anne Bronte
- The Finishing School – Muriel Spark
- Lolly Willowes or The Loving Huntsman – Sylvia Townsend Warner