We are no longer looking for ALN tutors – if you’re interested, please check back in the future.
The Library’s Adult Literacy and Numeracy (ALN) project is looking for volunteer tutors to support women with developing their literacy and numeracy skills, in group and one to one sessions.
Main duties and responsibilities
- To build a supportive relationship with women.
- To identify with women their preferred learning styles and tailor learning opportunities accordingly.
- To plan and deliver learning opportunities in consultation with women and / or co facilitators.
- To support women to develop and maintain their Individual Learning Plan or Group Learning Plan.
- To complete monitoring and evaluation paperwork.
- To attend relevant training, where appropriate.
- To commit to supporting women for at least 12 weeks.
- To highlight any relevant learning opportunities to women.
- To meet with ALN staff to discuss any training / support needs and to feedback relevant information.
Skills and Qualities
- Good communication skills.
- Dependable and good time keeper.
- Understanding of respect for confidentiality.
- Friendly and interested in meeting new people.
- Understands the importance of literacy and numeracy skills for women’s equality.
- Patient and understanding of complexities of women’s lives.
- Good basic literacy and numeracy skills and a desire to learn.
- Some experience of delivering learning opportunities, or a willingness to develop these skills.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer tutor with our ALN team, please download and fill in the GWL Volunteer Application Form and send the completed form back to: Dawn Fyfe, Glasgow Women’s Library, 15 Berkeley Street, Glasgow, G3 7BW, or by email to info[at]womenslibrary.org.uk.
Download: GWL Volunteer Application Form